Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What is a blue fluffy cotton ball?

I have told many people that I am a blue fluffy cotton ball, but I haven't explained how that came to be many times. The story involves three people, but I am only certain about the identities of two of them. The third one was a resident of Loop Floor, who I will identify as E for the purposes of this story, although that may indicate the wrong person. The other characters are me (J) and someone I won't name (R). The setting is Loop Kitchen, early September 1999, sometime in the early evening. E and I were sitting at the tables in the middle of the room facing the wall with the mirror, and under the mirror there was a table on which somebody had left some junk they were throwing out with a note saying that anybody could take whatever they wanted.

R: (walks in and looks at the table)
R: What's that?
E: It's just some useless junk that somebody is getting rid of. I don't know why they didn't just throw it out.
R: (walks over to table, looks through the things, and picks up a bag of cotton balls and a cardboard rectangle with the center removed)
R: This isn't just junk. I can make abstract art out of it.
E: And what's that supposed to be?
R: It represents how we are all trapped by the rules of society, like how these cotton balls are trapped in this bag. And I have a frame for it.
J: Oh yeah, that makes sense. I'm the little blue cotton ball right there.
R: (looks at the bag of cotton balls. Looks confused and looks more closely)
R: There are no blue cotton balls in there.
J: I know, I escaped.

So that's how I became a little blue cotton ball. But that quickly morphed into a blue fluffy cotton ball, because it sounds better.


Also, when I say cotton ball here, I mean little pompoms, which are fluffy balls made out of cotton. I don't mean the things that are generally called cotton balls, which are almost always white and used by small children to make clouds. Sorry, I'm a rocket scientist, not an artist. How am I supposed to know the proper names for these things?

No comments:

Post a Comment